Keeping dark clothes from fading after washing is something many of us struggle with. We want our clothes to stay beautiful and bold not old and faded. Here are some tips on how you can keep your dark clothes from fading in the wash.
- Care Labels – Many people forget this simple task but it really can make all of the difference. Check for instructions as well as temperature requirements for washing as well as drying. This few seconds of checking the label will save you much more time later on.
- Turn your Clothes Inside Out – Much wear and tear can be prevented simply by turning your clothes inside out during the wash. If you do this during both washing and drying this will help eliminate pilling. The sun can be a great way to dry clothes but it can really take the brightness out of your bold colors.
- Add some Vinegar – Even though vinegar does not have a nice smell, adding a cup of it to your laundry will not only prevent your colors from fading but is also a good substitute for a fabric softener. Also baking soda and salt can not only brighten colors but whites as well.
- Do Not Overstuff your Washer – You may be in a hurry to get your clothes washed but it is really bad for your clothes. The machine now has to work much harder and is a lot rougher on your clothes.
- Cold Water Washing –You should always wash you colors in cold. This is a tip that dates back many years to when our mother’s would tell us how to do laundry. Washing you colors in cold prevents fading, simple as that.
- Gentle Cycle – Using the gentle cycle on your colors can also help with fading. The washer does not have to work nearly as hard to get your clothes clean so your colors will not fade as quickly.
- Sort your laundry – There are not many people who still perform this task, but sorting your clothes really does make all of the difference. This goes along with washing your colors in cold water. It simply makes sense and keeps your colors brighter.
Those are just a few easy tips to help keep your bright clothes brighter for much longer. These are all things that only take a few seconds and can make a big difference in how long you keep your clothes from fading.